. 3 CHEESE AND CHARD PIES .
Three cheese (yes, three!) and chard pies. A simple vegetarian dinner that we ate with a broccoli and bean salad, is a recipe i made up, a kinda mix of a Greek tiropita and spanakopita. You can change the pastry to short crust or filo, and spinach or silverbeet instead of chard - what ever you have and like most. I used rainbow chard which is similar to silverbeet and have growing in my garden.
Makes 6 pies
3 sheets flakey pastry
1 big bunch of rainbow chard
1 shallot (or 2 spring onions), finely diced
2 fat cloves garlic, crushed
1 packed cup grated tasty cheese (cheddar)
150g cream cheese
1 egg, beaten
Salt and pepper
Approx 2 Tspn sesame seeds
Pre heat oven to 200(°C) Fan bake
1. Wash your greens well. The water that's left on them is enough moisture you will need to cook them in. Chop well and set aside.
2. Heat about 1 Tspn olive oil in a fry pan on a med/high heat. Once hot add the garlic and shallot, stirring for 30 sec so that it doesnt burn. If it burns the garlic will be bitter and ruin the flavour. After 30secs add the chard. Season with salt and pepper + the nutmeg. Cook for 30 sec more. You DONT want to over cook it - just enough so that its wilted but not completely 'dead'. Set aside to cool.
3. Mix the cheeses together with the cooled chard mix. Taste. Feta is salty - if it needs salt and pepper or just pepper add it.
4. Line a tray with baking paper. Cut the pastry sheets into 1/4 ers so that you have 12 squares. Place 6 squares on the tray and brush with the beaten egg. Divide the mix between the pastry leaving about a 1cm edge around the square. Top with another square of pastry and crimp closed with a fork to seal. Brush with egg, sprinkle over sesame seeds.
5. Bake for 18-20mins until golden. I do 10mins on a timer, then rotate the tray and check after about 7mins. Check that the bottom is cooked and golden too and not soggy.Enjoy with your fav green salad.